April 2, 2012

Navigating the Transition to Middle School ~ Videos #1 & #2


In recognition that April is Autism Awareness Month, Orlanda and I plan to dedicate our posts this month to tools, techniques, and lessons geared for kids on the Autism Spectrum.


Hey everybody! It's transition time! Yes, this is the time of year when I'm focusing heavily on middle school specific skills and hidden rules for my 5th graders who are graduating from elementary and heading to middle school as well as conducting all those super-fun transition ARD meetings!

 I've been working on a series of videos to use with my 5th grade students with Asperger's Syndrome as they prepare to transition to middle school. I find that I have more success when they listen to "social secrets" from other teens instead of from me - you know, they've hit the age when I've become ancient and clueless! 
How one of my 5th graders sees me when I try to explain hidden rules for middle school!

So... I brainstormed with a couple of 8th grade neurotypical boys about what "tips" they think are most important for the kids to know going into middle school. Over the next few weeks, I'll publish 20 clips on various topics. I hope that you are able to use them with your transitioning students.  Enjoy! ~ Kelley

Video #1 - Reputation Begins on Day 1 ~ Tips & Tricks for Middle School

youtube link for download purposes: http://youtu.be/h9HedWAN-7U

Video #2 - What if I Don't Get the Classes I Want?

youtube link for download purposes: http://youtu.be/fhkNLdZcVrg

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear your comments!